SOGG events underlined
Sat/Sunday 25 & 26 July: Carshalton Lavender Fields Open Days. Stanley Road allotments, access from Oaks Way, by the Day Centre. Pick your own lavender, see lavender oil distilled, visit craft stalls, etc.
Monday 31st August: Carshalton Environmental Fair, Carshalton Park. This is our biggest fund raiser and promotion opportunity of the year. Three ways you can help…
- Contributions. We need lots of plants, fruit and veg, flowers, cakes, preserves etc (all clearly labelled please). If possible, you will need to be able to take these in advance to collection points in Carshalton or Wallington, though we may be able to arrange for contributions to be collected if necessary.
- Drivers. We need people with cars willing to help get our stock and equipment to the show, either in advance on Sunday 30th August or early on the Monday. Can you help on either day?
- Manning the stall. Can you spare an hour or so at the Fair to help sell our produce? It’s always fun. Please contact Gilli or another Committee member if you are able to help. The more people who get
Saturday 9th September: 6 Week Food Growing Course (Ecolocal)
If you are just starting out, or would like to get some more detailed knowledge of food growing, then this course is for you. Over 6 weeks you will learn everything you need to know to confidently grow your own fruit and veg. including:
- Preparing your growing area
- Planning what to grow
- Planting techniques
- Taking care of your plants
- Feeding your soil
- Harvesting and storing produce
Over the six weeks you will get hands on experience as well as theoretical knowledge and the support of an experienced tutor. This course is AQA level 1 certified, and certificates can be provided for an additional fee. If you are interested in certification, please ask for more details.
Held at: Carshalton Community Allotment (Access between 33-35 Colston Avenue) SM5 2PW
Start dates: Saturday 19th September 2015 and April 16 2016 (for 6 consecutive Saturdays)